, Advice by Ann Landers - []
Our Featured Column from the Archives: [Read More Featured Columns]
[Previous] [Next]

Dear Ann Landers,
My son's father has taken a permanent leave of absence from our lives. "Arthur" and I divorced when my son was 6. He is now 11. After the divorce, Arthur was supposed to have custody of our son every weekend. The court order said he should pick up the boy on Friday evening and return him on Sunday night. Arthur immediately made it clear that Friday nights were for bowling and he had to work on Saturdays. He offered to pick our son up Saturday night and return him Sunday. I told Arthur that wasn't good enough. I also said he needed to spend more than one evening a week with his son and should make whatever arrangements were necessary to follow the court order. At that point, Arthur became angry and stopped having any contact with us. He said I made things too difficult. Arthur pays child support, but he never calls or sees his son. He doesn't send birthday cards or Christmas gifts either. I feel very bad for our boy. He is growing up without a positive male role model in his life. I have not remarried, and my parents live in another state. Was I wrong to insist that Arthur follow the rules? Arthur says it's my fault he no longer sees his son. Should I have been more flexible about the scheduling? I would really appreciate your advice, Ann. -- Single Parent in Iowa

Dear Iowa,
Too bad you picked such a lemon for a husband. Unfortunately, you two have a lot of deep-seated anger and unresolved problems. You are still fighting it out, and your son is the battleground. For the child's sake, you both need to be a lot more giving. After five years of living apart, the wounds should have healed. Apparently, they haven't, so please get some counseling, and learn how to resolve whatever differences you have.

Share this Column with Friends

What do you think?

A Note from Margo:
Hi! It's Margo here. I'd love to know what you think of the letters -- and the answers!

Also, any additional thoughts you might have. Thanks!

Reader Comment
Just another (o) of a phony father. My son's father disappeared shortly after the divorce and was never heard from again (and that includes the ridiculous child support of $10.00). Get back into court as the a-hole (as pictured above) but he will never be a father to the child and the mother should be aware of this. You can't force someone to be a parent when they refuse to be one.

Kris's Comment
What a difficult father. And he is taking it out on his son. He will live to regret this. $10 child support is not enough. You can get more than this. Take him to court.
Please share your comments below:

Our Reader to Reader Question of the Week:

Dear Readers,
, whatever they needed I provided. What really hurt my son and I the most was the obituary - we were not mentioned at all. Our friends (mine and hers) were appalled. I was embarrassed and upset for not just me, but for my son-who loved her also. I never been so upset. Her x-husband put his wife and kids and their grandchildren in the obituary, who my girlfriend barely knew. They live an hour away from us. I know its silly to be mad over a little section of the newspaper, but it still hurts. Will time let this devastating loss of her and this article ever go away? I am so angry at this whole situation, its not like we can go and rewrite an obituary notice.

Tell us what you think?

Popular Columns

Tag Cloud

Ask a Question
Post a Comment

"At every party there are two kinds of people - those who want to go home and those who don't. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other."
-Ann Landers